Chamba in Himachal Pradesh is a personally magnetized old-fashioned and unenlightened town hill station amidst lush greenery, scenic picnic spots, and cluster of tiny villages.Chamba is known for its temples and scenic locations. Chamba is now one of the most popular tourist destination of Himachal Pradesh known for its historic values.Thus a tour to Chamba, is a serene beauty which makes it an ideal holiday retreat.Chamba with its temples and palaces preserves much of its rich medieval past.
ORIENTATION Chamba is situated in the western Himalayas between north latitudes 32°10′ and 33°13′ and east longitudes 75°45′ and 77°33′. The town stands on a plateau on the right bank of the Ravi river valley between Dhauladhar and Zanskar ranges south of the inner Himalayas.
HISTORY Chamba perched on a plateau overhanging the river Ravi, the town is named after Champavati, daughter of Raja Sahil Varma of the Barmaur royal house who shifted his capital in 920 AD. But even before that around 6th century AD it was ruled by the Rajputs of the Chamba valley. Later in the medieval period it was under the reign of the Mughals and then taken over by the Sikh kingdoms.Chamba became a part of the state of the Himachal Pradesh only after the British during the independence of India in 1947.