Dindigul popularly referred as the “City of Locks and Tanneries” was initially within the limits of Madurai but in the year 1985 it was conferred as a separate district in the year 1985.The city is famous for manufacturing of locks and has a lot of textile industries in and around Dindigul.Apart from this from a very early period Dindigul was a major trading centre for tobacco and also they are one of the leading manufactures of cigars. Recently there is a lot of mention about the city regarding the Chewing Tobacco and it is a wholesale market for Onions and Groundnut. A number of factories being associated with the city it has lot of potential in employing people in these sectors for work. The very good irrigation facilities in Dindigul also results in good agriculture for the town accommodates nearly four dams namely Palar Porandalar, Varathamanathi, Pabap Palar and Maruthanathi.The places in and around Dindigul are also unique for many features like Nilakkottai is famous for Brass Vessels,Jewellery and for the growing and marketing of flowers and Grapes.Ottanschatram situated at a short distance from Dindigul is famous market for vegetables and export of butter.Batlagundu is an important market for Tomato.Pattiveeranpatti is a place noted for Cardamom and Coffee. Dating back to history the place was ruled by the Muslim King Tipu Sultan and the fort here was built by Naik King Muthukrishnappa Naicker.Adding to the tourist attraction of the city Kodiakanal, the famous hill station and Palani, the pilgrim centre is situated in the district.
HISTORY Dindigul was initially under the reign of the great Muslim King Tippu Sultan and then it came under the Naickes of Madurai.As a matter of respect and tribute to the Naicker’s and in their memory till 1999 the Government Transports in the city were named as “Rani Mangamaal Transport Corporation(RMTC)”.Dindigul got the status of a separate district only in the year 1985.There are legends which says that Dindigul was also referred by the names Dindigul Anna,Quaid-e-Milleth and Mannar Thirumalai.During the period of the Naicks the famous historical Rock Fort was constructed by Naik King Muthukrishnappa Naicker.Dindigul was under the rule of Tipu Sultan from 1784 to 1790.During Tipu’s period in 1784 commandant Syed Ibrahim did some maintenance work of the fort. But however in the year 1790 Tipu was defeated by the British in the Mysore war and Dindigul came under the later. During the period of British a famous church was built which is now the headquarters of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Dindigul.
LOCATION : Dindigul more towards the south of Tamil Nadu is bounded on the north by Erode, Coimbatore, Karur and Trichy, Sivaganga and Tiruchi District on the East, Madurai district on the South and Theni and Coimbatore Districts and Kerala State on the West.