Sanchi, a serene and sleepy place atop a hill has the singular distinction of telling an uninterrupted Buddhist history of over 2,000 years in stone. It has stupas,chaityas,temples,torana gateways, pillars and monasteries-the best and perfect examples of Buddhist architectural and creative art in India.Sanchi was almost lost to us but for a British Officer who rediscovered it in 1818 and the Archeological Department finally restored and repaired in phases to the present state.Sanchi was declared as the World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1989.It is one of the important pilgrim spots for all the Buddhist devotees where they come from different parts of the world.Sanchi symbolizes victory of peace over war. This place is more of a living example of visions and beliefs of Emperor Ashoka.
HISTORY Sanchi was the centre for the Hinayana form of Buddhism and it nothing much associated with the life of Gautama Buddha. It was Emperor Ashoka who was one of the ardent disciple of Buddha, in the third century BC built the first stupa in Sanchi.This was followed by the construction of other stupas and Buddhist buildings in the preceding years. But however soon there was a decline in Buddhism during which the monuments and the stupas were not maintained at all. It was only in the year 1818 Sanchi was rediscovered and renewed by a British Officer, General Taylor. But again there was a fall in the monuments when the amateur archaeologists tried treasure hunting here. Between 1912 and 1919, the structures were carefully repaired and restored through the efforts of an archaeologist and historian, Sir George Marshal.
LOCATION Sanchi is situated in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India; its geographical coordinates are 23° 30′ 0″ North, 77° 35′ 0″ East. Bhopal is just 46 kilometers in the East.